AFIRM Modules are designed to help you learn the step-by-step process of planning for, using, and monitoring an EBP with learners with autism from birth to 22 years of age. Supplemental materials and handouts are available for download.
Download an overview of the Components of AFIRM to learn about modules, resources, and professional development options.
Visit the Learn with AFIRM section to find out more.
To learn more about the updated EBPs, check out the National Clearinghouse on Autism Evidence and Practice website.
Introduction to Autism
Selecting an Evidence-Based Practice
AFIRM for Paraprofessionals: Simulated E-Learning
These simulated learning modules include brief overviews, video examples, and activity-based scenarios to learn foundational EBPs.
- Reinforcement: Introduction & Practice
- Prompting: Introduction & Practice
- Supporting Peer Interactions: Introduction & Practice
- Time Delay: Introduction & Practice
- Visual Cues: Introduction & Practice
AFIRM for Toddlers
AFIRM for Toddlers are a set a of modules developed in collaboration with the Early Childhood Technical Assistance Center for early interventionists working with toddlers, families, and early care providers.
- AFIRM for Toddlers Introduction
- Behavior Supports for Toddlers
- Naturalistic Interventions in the Child Care Setting
- Parent-Implemented Interventions in the Home Setting
- Visual Supports
Available Evidence-Based Practice Modules
The National Clearinghouse on Autism Evidence and Practice (NCAEP) identified 28 EBPs based upon a systematic review. The EBP modules are designed to help you learn the step-by-step process for planning for, using, and monitoring an EBP with learners with autism from birth to 22 years of age.
- Augmentative & Alternative Communication
- Antecedent-Based Interventions
- Ayres Sensory Integration®
- Behavioral Momentum Intervention
- Cognitive Behavioral Intervention
- Direct Instruction
- Differential Reinforcement
- Discrete Trial Training
- Functional Behavioral Assessment
- Functional Communication Training
- Music-Mediated Intervention
- Naturalistic Intervention
- Peer-Mediated Instruction & Intervention
- Parent-Implemented Intervention
- Response Interruption/ Redirection
- Social Narratives
- Social Skills Training
- Task Analysis
- Technology-Aided Instruction & Intervention
- Time Delay
- Video Modeling
- Visual Supports
Available Supplemental Modules
Several EBPs identified in the previous review (Wong et al., 2014) were recategorized or reclassified in the most recent review by the National Clearinghouse on Autism Evidence & Practice (see Steinbrenner et al., 2020, p. 30 for details). The four modules below will remain available for AFIRM users as supplemental materials:
- Picture Exchange Communication System
- Pivotal Response Training
- Structured Play Groups